Remember those carnivores I told you about before? Their idea of a perfect lasagna has lots of pepperoni and meat sauce. Lots. Oh, and LOTS of cheese - the more the merrier!
Pepperoni Stuffed Pasta Bake
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet peppers
- 1 28 oz can/jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 28 oz can pureed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasonings
- salt & pepper to taste
- 8 oz pasta (I used Orecchiette - a cute little dried pasta I found at Trader Joe's)
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella
- 16 oz container of ricotta
- 2 eggs
- 1 additional tbsp Italian Seasonings
- thinly sliced pepperoni
- Boil pasta in a large pot of water till al detente. Drain and set aside.
- Brown hamburger, drain off fat and add onion, garlic and peppers. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the spaghetti sauce and the pureed tomatoes to the pot. Cook on a low to medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Prepare the ricotta by mixing the container with 2 eggs and Italian Seasonings. Stir till smooth and light.
- Slice the mozzerella.
- Begin the layering by pouring just enough sauce to coat the bottom of a 9" x 13" baking dish. Pour half the pasta in and spread around. Add the ricotta mixture and smooth as best you can. Place pepperoni across the surface. Spoon on 1 1/2 cups of sauce.
- Add the rest of the pasta and place slices of mozzarella on top. Place on additional pepperoni. Spoon on more sauce.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese and finish up with a layer of pepperoni.
- Bake 45 minutes (or until cooked through) in a 350 oven.
- Let sit for at least 10 minutes before serving - it helps it to set.
Give it a try!
Have fun in the kitchen,