Tuesday, February 11, 2014

I won High Mowing Organic Seeds!

I am one of those people that never wins a thing.  I enter all sorts of contests, but usually to no avail.  A couple weeks ago, while perusing Facebook, a posting from High Mowing Organic Seeds came across my feed.  You could win $50 worth of seeds if you just told them what your favorite was from last year and why. 

That was easy for me: the Organic Yellow Pear Tomatoes!  They are very cool looking and you can just pop them in your mouth... ahhh... the sweetness...  So, I entered and went about my business (a trip to Florida with our field hockey team - don't be jealous: we didn't see the sun till we were heading home as it was cloudy, drizzly and cold the whole time!)  While I was down there, I got a wonderful surprise: my name was drawn to win a $50 gift certificate!  How cool was that?


I completed my order today.  It was so much fun to pick and choose from their wonderful selection of organic seeds. 

Not just basil, but "Genovese Basil": Pesto lovers unanimously recommend Genovese as the best variety for pesto due to its distinctively sweet flavor. Plants are strong producers of dark-green, glossy leaves with a characteristic spoon shape. Average height is 10-12”. 18M seeds/oz (Ocimum basilicum var genovese ) Days to maturity: 68 days 

Or how about this kale: "Lacinato (Dinosaur) Kale"?  an HEIRLOOM Also known as Dinosaur Kale due to its bumpy leaf surface resembling dinosaur skin! This unique variety has the darkest blue-green color of any kale. Our strain has been improved by breeder Frank Morton and has superior vigor, yield and hardiness. (Brassica oleracea) Days to maturity: 30 days baby, 60 full size

How could I resist "Nutterbutter Butternut Squash"? 
A long time in the making, Nutterbutter was developed in our breeding program by Dr. Jodi-Lew Smith. It was selected for its uniform, medium-sized bell-shaped fruit, its early maturity, and most importantly for its consistently nutty, sweet flavor. This is a personal-sized butternut that will wow squash lovers with its flavors, and will mature in regions that have trouble ripening butternuts. We think this one will be a standout for everyone. Also has some tolerance to Powdery Mildew. (Cucurbita moschata) Days to maturity: 90 days 

I was able to cull down curb my urge to go crazy with seeds to 18 different packages.  From basil to oregano, some Mammoth Sunflowers to rainbow chard, I had as much fun making my choices as I will planting... well almost.   We are going to try some things we've never done in our "tomato, carrot, zucchini world" and it's pretty exciting.  

I am also interested to see what impact our new bees will have on the growing process.  Last year we didn't see a bee all summer and our plants showed it.  I'll be posting more about that soon - something hubby is trying.  Our nucs are on order from Singing Cedars Apiary ALSO in Vermont!  Keepin' it local, baby!

So, have you ordered seeds for this year?  What are you looking to plant?  I pretty much a newbie at this, so I'd love to hear ideas.

Have a great day,
Carrie

0 comments:

Post a Comment