Saturday, February 22, 2014

Spaghetti Squash Carbonara

After roasting my first spaghetti squash, I had to decide how exactly we were going to eat it.  I could have just tossed it on a plate as a side dish with a bit of butter, salt and pepper, but I was looking to try something a bit more daring AND, as I've been mentioning, we're fighting off the hopeful end of 'ol Man Winter, so baking things in the oven helps keep the house warmer!

I perused the Internet for recipes using this fun new veggie (to us) and ran across several that would help warm the house.  I took ideas from all I read and came up with my own take on  this one.  Here's the recipe - hope you like it!


Spaghetti Squash Carbonara

  • 1 spaghetti squash, cut in half and roasted (see previous recipe)
  • 5 strips of bacon
  • 1/2 onion
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup of plain yogurt
  • 1 cup shredded cheese
  • salt/pepper to taste
Start by preparing your squash.  I roasted mine in the oven with some olive oil and set it aside.  After it cools, use a fork or scoop out the shredded flesh inside and put in a bowl.


Cook up the bacon and dice the onion.  Drain off some of the bacon fat and then toss the chopped onion in to cook. Cut up the cooked bacon.

While the onions cook, whisk the eggs, add the yogurt, shredded cheese and salt/pepper.  Once that's good to go, pour into the bowl with the squash.  Add the chopped bacon and the cooked diced onion.

Spray a pie plate with oil and pour the mixture in.

Cook in 350 oven for 40-45 minutes and serve as a side dish.



Have you cooked with spaghetti squash?  What did you make?  Can't wait to try some other ideas!

Have fun in the kitchen,
Carrie

0 comments:

Post a Comment