Friday, February 21, 2014

The Veggie with a SurpiseI Inside: Spaghetti Squash

One of the beauties of having a food blog is that one is forced outside the proverbial "box" - a LOT!  I mean would you all want to see burgers and chicken 7 days a week here?

So, I grabbed a veggie I've never tried that seemed to keep popping up as I was on the hunt for gluten free and low carb recipes: spaghetti squash.

This wonderful "winter" squash can be baked, boiled, steamed and microwaved.  Before you cook it, the flesh is solid, similar to other squash.  You need to dig out the seeds to get at the "meat," which, when cooked, falls apart into strands, like spaghetti.

Another bit of info I ran across: it's easy to grow!  Okay, boys and girls - looks like I might have to find me some spaghetti squash seeds!  I wonder if they have them at High Mowing Seeds?  I'll have to go take a peek...

So, I looked up some ways to cook this wonderous vegetable and ran across "How to Properly Roast a Spaghetti Squash" - how perfect!


  • Cut the squash in half;
  • Scoop out the seeds;
  • Rub with olive oil (which makes ALL things better...)
  • Brush the cooking sheet with olive oil;
  • Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and
  • Cook in a 375 oven for 35-45 min.

Viola!  You have a "base" for some great meals!

Have fun in the kitchen,
Carrie

0 comments:

Post a Comment