Saturday, June 29, 2013

Homemade Donuts

Today I would like to share a recipe handed down by my grandmother and mother-in-law (between the two, I think I got it right) that I make with my daughters.  We also use the recipe for donut making at the Monadnock Center for History & Culture (where I work) for Harvesting History Day each year.  You can smell them from the street!

It's for homemade donuts.

Incredibly yummy, fresh from the shortening, honest to goodness donuts.

Yes, you too can do this!  Please DO!

Here's how...


Fried Donuts

Ingredients
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup milk
  • 4 tbsp melted shortening
  • 4 cups flour
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • shortening to fry donuts in
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat shortening to 370 degrees.
  2. Beat the eggs. Then slowly add the sugar.
  3. Once mixed, stir in milk and melted shortening.
  4. Sift flour before measuring and resift with baking powder, spices and salt.
  5. Mix the wet and dry ingredients.
  6. Flour your cutting board and roll out the dough to about 1/4" (thicker the dough, thicker the donuts!).
  7. Cut out the donuts. (I have a vintage donut cutter from my memere. It cuts the donut and hole at the same time. I have also done it with a glass and an apple corer. You can ALSO shape them by hand.)
  8. Once the shortening is up to 370, drop donuts in one at a time. I do 3-4 at once. ** BE CAREFUL of the hot fat...yup...even after all these years I tend to get burned... I drop mine in by hand and turn them with a long handled wooden spoon. I use that to remove them, as well.
  9. When you remove them, place them on a paper bag to absorb excess shortening.
  10. Once they cool a wee bit, you can drop them in a bag of sugar, shake and EAT!!! Or, like my hubby, eat them right off the plate! 
 

What do you think, guys?  Willing to give it a try?  Let me know how they come out! BTW... just for the record, there is NOTHING low fat/low cal about these - just WICKED GOOD!
Happy cooking!
Hugs,
Carrie

0 comments:

Post a Comment