Friday, June 28, 2013

Potato Leek Soup

The mighty leek is a member of the onion and garlic family - no surprise if you've ever eaten or cooked one. I find they have an onion-like taste and a similar consistency when cooked.  

Historically, according to Wikipedia, dried specimens were found in ancient Egyptian archeological sites and were concluded to be a part of the early Egyptian diet. (History geek alert!!)  Personally, I find them at the grocery store and purchase them several times a year.

After a recent trip to Trader Joe's, I found myself staring at a bag of frozen, chopped leaks at dinner time.  I also noticed a bag of shredded potatoes.  It occurred to me that between the two, this would be easy-peasy to prepare.  I decided it was time to make them part of an evening's meal.

The result: some mighty tasty soup.  At one point in it's creation, it was a mere clear soup - the sudden urge to make it a cream soup was masterful, if I don't say so myself!  I had purchased the powdered milk to make a cream soup base mix, but hadn't gotten to it yet.  That will be an upcoming blog post, for sure.  Have a gander at the resulting recipe.


Potato Leek Soup

Serves 4

Ingredients:
1/2 onion 
1 rib celery
6 mushrooms (more or less to taste or what you have available)
dash of each, salt & pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 bag Trader Joe chopped leeks (equivalent of 1 leek. by my eye, at least)
1 1/2 cups Trader Joe shredded potatoes (about 1/3 bag)
1 cup dry, powdered milk (No powdered milk?  Use milk or cream instead)
32 oz container chicken or vegetable stock (or your equivalent)
1/2 tsp dill
1/4 tsp rosemary

Directions:
  1. Pour olive oil, salt and pepper in pot.
  2. Chop onion and celery.  Slice mushrooms.  Add to the pot and saute on medium heat for about 4 minutes.  Stir occasionally.
  3. Put in leeks (chop first, if you have fresh) and 1 cup of stock, continue stirring.  Cook for 5 more minutes.
  4. Add the rest of the stock, shredded potatoes and herbs, cooking for an additional 10 minutes.
  5. Pour in powdered milk (or your other milk) and continue cooking for 3 minutes.



I brought this out to Bri to try (first course, I told him...being fancy).  He wanted to know what it was.  I said, "Try it first."  He did.  He loved it!  Yahoo!  Score one for me!

Hope you enjoy this recipe!
Carrie


1 comments: