Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Meat Lovers Pizza

Good morning, friends!

Thought I might like to share Sunday night's dinner's recipe, so today's recipe is a multiple one, if you need it: pizza dough, sauce and the culminating meat lovers pizza!  Yay!!

Let's start with the dough.  If you like to just buy it from the store, by all means, go ahead.  Keep in mind you are paying $1.50-$2.50 for flour and a sprinkle of yeast that's been sitting in the store... just saying... Want to make some for a LOT less?  Give it a try!

Before I go any further, I highly recommend saving THIS LINK.  Or just open it in another tab and look once you've read today's blog - wouldn't want you to get lost!!  Craftsy.com offers a free class in making the perfect pizza.  I learned SO MUCH from even the one time I watched it that I can absolutely recommend it!  You do have to sign up with Craftsy, but the class is one of their free offerings.

Don't have time to watch the whole video?  I found my personal favorite pizza dough recipe over at Annie's Eats.  Zip over and she'll tell you how.  Just click on this link and open it in another tab.  She has some good hints, as well.

So, now either you've got your dough from the store, you already had your own recipe or you've come back from Annie's!  It's time to get started.


 
Meat Lovers Pizza

Yield: 1 medium sized pizza
Ingredients
  • 1 ball Pizza Dough (bought or homemade)
  • 1 cup Pizza Sauce (recipe to follow)
  • 1/4 pound Chorizo Sausage - casing removed
  • 1/4 pound Pork Sausage - casing removed
  • 1/3 pound Hamburger
  • 1 1/2 cup Shredded Cheese
  • Flour for working with dough & parchment paper
Directions
  1. If dough has been refrigerated, allow to come to room temperature.
  2. Pre-cook the sausage and hamburger in a skillet till cooked through.
  3. Pre-heat oven to 500 or hottest temperature you can.
  4. Place pizza stone in oven to pre-heat.
  5. Flour parchment paper and flatten the dough on the parchment paper.
  6. Once pizza stone is heated, remove and place dough on stone. Add sauce. Add cooked meat. Top with cheese.
  7. Bake for 7-10 minutes. 

After watching the Craftsy video, I had to give making my own sauce a try as well.  It was as easy as he said and really good.  Feel free to tweak it - I did!!

Pizza Sauce
Ingredients
  • 1  28 oz can Crushed Tomatoes
  • 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
  • 1/4 tsp Salt
  • 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
  • 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
  • 1 tbsp Dried Basil
  • 1/2 tsp Sugar
Directions
  1. Pour crushed tomatoes into a pot.  Cook on medium heat.
  2. Add the dried ingredients. Stir. Taste test - okay on salt? Sugar? Pepper?  Basil?
  3. Cook for 25-30 minutes.  I continue tasting till it's done.  Maybe I just like the flavor? 
  4. Use an emulsion blender if you don't like chunky sauce, to give it a smoother texture.
What to you guys think?  It's really a fun dinner to make - especially if you have children who you want to get started in the kitchen.  Have them add the toppings!

What's your favorite kind of pizza?  I liked this one, but I am partial to Hawaiian as well as ones with chicken.

Have fun in the kitchen!
Carrie

3 comments:

  1. My fam absolutely loves pizza, Carrie, and I'm going to save this for our next pizza night. Yum, yum, yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie, I'd love to share this with your photo of the yummy pizza coming up (not that your photo isn't adorable, of course!). I wonder if you could set your featured image (just for me!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried, Amy - did that work?
    It's really VERY yummy and fun to do with friends/family! :)

    ReplyDelete